About Me

I am a daughter, sister, aunt, granddaughter, learner, and follower of Jesus Christ. I love life. I love that God allows me to wake up in the morning ready to face the adventure of the day.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Footsteps of Paul

So I just spent the past 2 1/2 weeks touring Greece and Italy and seeing both the biblical sites where Paul was and the popular tourist attractions. Let me tell you. It was the most wonderful European trip that I have ever been on. Not only did I get to visit places that I had never seen before but I also came out with a whole new perspective on the Bible and what Paul went through to give the message of Jesus Christ to the first century churches. I won't bore you with all the details, so, like I normally do, I will have a top 10 of the things I loved, enjoyed, and found most memorable.

1. My favorite ancient city that we visited was Philippi. While in Philippi we got to visit the baptismal site of Lydia. You can read about her in Acts 16:11-18. The story of Lydia was one that I had never looked at in detail before this trip. Boy I am glad that I did read the story of Lydia because I now think that she is one of the most inspiration woman of the Bible. While at the baptismal site, David, our tour guide, prof who didn't have to grade us, and friend, gave us the opportunity to get our own baptismal vows renewed. After some thinking I went ahead and was baptized. I have actually wanted to renew my baptismal vows and never had an opportunity to do so. Doing it in Philippi at the site where Lydia was baptized seemed like the perfect spot and time.

2. During our last day in Greece we took a day trip to the Ancient city of Corinth. The city itself was cool but, there was a castle on the top of a mountain where we had a picnic lunch. The weather was fantastic. The view was beautiful. The conversations had were unforgettable.

3. While in Corinth we also had the opportunity to share communion with one another. Once again I was overwhelmed by God's faithfulness in my life. Do take communion at the site where Paul preached brings so much more meaning and significance to the partaking of the body and the blood than it does when you are sitting in church.

4. During this trip we had the chance to go on a strenuous hike or a wimpy hike on Mt. Olympus. My whole class chose the strenuous hike and it was certainly worth the long 2 hours to get to the top. I brought home a rock from the top to remember the endeavor.

5. Greece used to have 24 monasteries that were built on the peaks of lone standing cliffs. It amazed me to think how they could have possibly made them considering that the monastery that we went to was only accessible by a rope basket that is being pulled by the person at the top. Now they have stairs to get to the top. The ladies got to fashion some very high end, top notch, fashionable, wrap around skirts.


6. While in Athens there were 8 girls that needed to stay in a different hotel than the rest of the group. I was 1 of the 8. We got to stay in a 4 star hotel with a view of the Parthenon from our rooftop patio and olive garden. The only downer to this hotel is that they charged for wifi. The question that week for wherever we ate at was, "Do you have free wifi?"

The following don't have pictures and are short and to the point.
7. Gelato in Rome. The best thing ever! We found a favorite gelateria right next to the Trevi Fountian. Note this gelateria is referenced in The Lizzie McGuire Movie. I just finished watching it!
8. There was a moment while watching the changing of the guards at the Greece Parliament where I had a pigeon land on my head. Needless to say I squealed and hope to never experience it ever again. Enjoy your laugh!
9. I love the Greek way of living for many reasons. A. they have amazing food! Feta cheese, souvlaki, bread and olive oil, moussaka, and baklava. B. they have a siesta every afternoon where they go home for naps. C. College education is FREE!!! D. They have cafe bars with couches and art designs in their hot chocolate as well as pop rocks!
10. My friend Katelyn and I had a moment in Thessaloniki. Our friends had gone in a chocolate shop. We stayed outside and looked in through the window. There was about 6 inches between. I turn to tell her something while she turns to tell me something. To our pleasant surprise a rather tall Greek man was standing between us peering through the window. After he walks half the block we burst into laughter at the incredibly awkward moment.

Well there you have! The top 10 things about my creeping on the Apostle Paul. Oh and I may have gotten a summer intern out of for my Junior Year practicum with the Sparks, they were our awesome guides.

2 comments:

  1. I had a girl during Junior 1 who's name was Lydia and she said that she was named after someone in the Bible, but didn't know the whole story. A couple weeks later, I got into Acts and found out for myself!

    I love #8! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my gosh! I know what scene you're talking about in The Lizzie McGuire Movie!!! ha that's awesome.

    #10 sounds hilarious!!!!!

    did the monasteries look like the castle on the mountain in Colombia?!?!

    ReplyDelete