About Me

I am a daughter, sister, aunt, granddaughter, learner, and follower of Jesus Christ. I love life. I love that God allows me to wake up in the morning ready to face the adventure of the day.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Week One; Done

It's hard to believe that week one is already behind me! I survived! Here are some highlights from the past week.
-All staff devos. Super cool. The whole staff gathers every Tuesday morning to tell ministry stories from the past week. After a while of stories one staff member shares a devo and then we sing some worship songs and then take up prayer requests and end our time in prayer. It's such a cool time for all of us to come together and fellowship with one another.
-On Saturday I started my first weekend in Summit Kid's Ministry. I started off by attending the Leadership meeting for all CM staff and then headed to the volunteer leader meeting for the babies hub. After that I went to the 5:00pm service and then came back to serve in the 11-14 month classroom. Yes, they separate their nursery by months. It blows my mind! But I got to play with toddlers and feed them goldfish and clean a wet diaper. It was fun. Nothing new during that hour however.
-On Sunday, Summit hosted the Leader Palooza to show our appreciation for the 500+ volunteers and their families. I spent all morning loading up pick up trucks and unloading pick up trucks to bring the supplies to the local park. One of the bigger tasks I had of the day was constructing a balloon arch. It was pretty sweet, although a little frustrating at first because the helium wasn't working. It turned out pretty awesome as seen in the picture below. At the end of the day I was exhausted but the event was super successful and the leaders were very appreciative of the event.

-Yesterday I started with the elementary team. I will be with them for the next month before I rotate to a new area in Summit. I'm excited for what this month will hold as I continue to grasp what a day in the life of a Summit intern will look like.
-As interns, each month we are responsible for reading one book as a group. Every Wednesday morning we gather and discuss the reading that was assigned. We are currently reading Deep and Wide: Creating Churches that Unchurched People Love to Attend by Andy Stanley. I have really enjoyed this book so far. One of the things that is discussed in the book is Grace and Truth and how most of the churches out there today are not that welcoming to people who have never attended church before and live lives that are in desperate need of grace and truth. I have really enjoyed reading this book because it is helping me to better understand why Flatirons does what they do. I'm learning that in all churches alike there is always going to be a difficulty between people because we are all sinful and broken and in need of Jesus. I'm looking forward to seeing how God is going to move during this year at Flatirons and looking forward to seeing God's grace and truth revealed to his people.
-Another new part added to my life, as if moving 14 hours from home and starting a new job and a new state wasn't enough, I decided to join a gym. Luckily for me it only costs me $5 a month! WHAT A DEAL!?!?! All of my housemates are also a part of the gym so we try to go together when our schedule allows us. I love being able to add this part into my schedule. When I leave work at 5 I don't have to do homework so I actually have time to spend an hour at the gym every day.
-We also got internet at our house this week. To celebrate we watched Mean Girls on Netflix. We also took a celebratory picture of all of us together in the house at the same time!


Prayer Requests
-Continued growth in relationships with my housemates and other interns
-The ability to be a sponge and take in everything that I am experiencing
-Making a consistent time in my day to spend in God's word
-Begin to make friendships with people who are outside of the intern world

No comments:

Post a Comment