About Me

I am a daughter, sister, aunt, granddaughter, learner, and follower of Jesus Christ. I love life. I love that God allows me to wake up in the morning ready to face the adventure of the day.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Post Grad Blues

I remember time and time again, as a senior in college, hearing college graduates talk about things they wished they would have known before graduation. One of those things that makes the list every single time is that making friends outside of school is tough. A lot tougher than one might think. For the first time in our lives, as a fresh out of school grad, we are faced with everything new. Well, for the most part. Some may move back home, while others move across country, while some even move to a whole new country altogether. Nonetheless, each of us is experiencing something new. For me, this was a move to a new state, new town, new job, new house, new church (which is also my job), and even a new time zone.

Needless to say, there have been some ups and downs since graduation. At the start of summer life was what I would call a "normal" summer. I went to work at Village Creek, the place that I have called my summer job of the past three summers, and just did my thing. I was able to reconnect with old friends and make some new ones. But in general this summer was the same old summer. Nothing to dramatically new other than a different job title. I remember thinking, "Wow, those college grads got it all wrong with making friends post grad! I've made lots of friends!"Then I remember that I am not really in a typical job setting yet. The challenging, real life, big kid job was still ahead of me, as well as a move across the country.

Now that I have been living in Colorado for a little over a month I wish I could eat my thoughts from just two months ago. Making friends has proven to be a challenge and reality. Don't get me wrong I love my housemates and the people I work with. However, you do need friends outside of both the work and house environment. For me, the people at the house also happen to be awesome people that I work with everyday. With all that being said, if there was one thing that I wish I would have known before graduation it would be that making friends outside of school is tough. But I wouldn't leave it at that.

It didn't hit me until this past weekend how much I truly miss Taylor University and the wonderful people that I was able to do life with. I miss being able to wander the rooms of Third Center Olson and stop in to chat with each of the girls. I miss wing worship and "ding winners." I miss chapel. I miss, oddly enough, my classes. I miss the awesome 12 CE majors that were able to conquer the massive P. Strat paper with me. I miss the fellowship. I miss my professors who not only cared about my academics but cared for me as an individual. So, again, if there was one thing that I wish I would have known before graduation it would be that you don't realize how difficult it is to find a Taylor equivalent community until you realize the impact that the Taylor community has had on your life. This includes the friendships that were made. To be quite honest, I have been more homesick for Taylor over the past 24 hours than I have ever been. I thought I missed Taylor when it was the last day of summer and I couldn't wait to get back to my home away from home the next day. But I was wrong. I miss Taylor now more than anything.

With that being said, Taylor University, thank you for setting my standards for a Christian community so high. Thank you for challenging me beyond what I thought possible. Thank you for the memories and laughter and tears. Thank you for a beyond exceptional education that prepared me to work and serve with excellence at my current job. Thank you for an education that is grounded in Scripture and in Christ. Even though, I may have the 'post grad blues' right now. I am incredibly thankful that God gave me the opportunity to attend Taylor University and to be involved not only in the lives of those at Taylor but also involved in the Upland community. It is because of Christ that I can do anything and for Christ that I can do everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment